Vision & Mission
Janki Devi Memorial College, University of Delhi was founded with the vision to empower women and enable them to contribute meaningfully to nation building through quality education. The college is committed to providing an educational journey for young women undergraduates which culminates in their ability to be self-reliant and to appreciate as well as negotiate with the complex socio-economic-political-cultural world that they inhabit. It is envisioned that the college will hone leadership qualities and a spirit of selfless service in its students through its academic programmes, the pedagogical methods employed by faculty members as well as through a vast spectrum of extra/co-curricular and outreach activities. The achievement and maintenance of excellence in all domains is embedded in the policies that frame the governance and the teaching- learning processes of the institution.
The Gandhian principles of simplicity, tolerance, dignity of labour, harmony and inclusivity, compassion and service to the marginalized sections of society as propounded by the founding father of the college, Shri Brij Krishan Chandiwala, are an integral part of the vision of the college. To that end, the college is dedicated to creating an educational atmosphere that includes students from diverse economic, social and ethnic backgrounds. It pledges to be empathetic to young women from deprived sections of society and provide them the same opportunities as those who are privileged. Furthermore, the college is devoted to the task of facilitating cultural understanding as also the implications of change in society, politics, economy and technology through opportunities to study literatures, languages, commerce, cultures and the arts in a modern and conducive educational environment. It is also committed to encourage research and provide job and service opportunities to its students on and off campus. The college recognizes that education can transform individuals and communities and aspires to furnish students with all the elements that can use their full potential. Thus the motto of the college, Vidya hi parmam jyoti or Knowledge is eternal light reflects in totality the vision of the college.
MISSION STATEMENT AND CORE VALUES
The egalitarian approach of the institution promotes the inclusion of all sections of the society. The institution is equally inclusive of all its constituencies, with their respective duties, responsibilities and achievements. The students and staff, belonging to diverse classes, castes, ethnic and religious groups cooperate in a democratic environment to take the college to newer heights of excellence. The institution besides providing education, also serves as a platform for cultural expression and excellence, constantly reminding students of the primary importance of cultural diversity, national integration and tolerance, along with the need to be in harmony with the environment
Janki Devi Memorial College is committed to the following core values:
- The foundational ideal is enshrined in the upanishadic motto of the college itself, 'Vidyahi paramam Jyoti'- Knowledge is Eternal Light
- Gandhian philosophy of responsible citizenship and empowerment of women through education
- Imparting knowledge based on traditional values, yet with modern and global significance in an evolving academic world
- Education, in combination with technological skills, empowers the students both academically and economically, and proactively contributes to their brighter future
Therefore, the college creates a motivational environment to provide holistic education and personality development of the students, resulting in a synthesis of their career growth and ethical and responsible citizenship
The Institution recognizes that the recommendations of the Peer team during the first NAAC cycle visit, if implemented in the letter and spirit of the report, would only enhance the mission and vision of the college. Hence the following goals have been formulated:
- To create an inclusive atmosphere so that learners from across communities and categories are given equal attention and facilities including remedial classes for slow or needy learners in keeping with the government's policy of 'Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat'
- To provide the best possible infrastructure to facilitate the teaching learning process
- To inculcate a spirit of enquiry among faculty and students by making research an integral part of education
- To provide a diverse range of academic and skilling courses to students so that they hone their interests and take entrepreneurial initiatives to become economically independent in the future; which the government has been encouraging though its 'Atma Nirbhar' policy
- To expand the range of disciplines being offered by the college and include Science programmes
- To ensure that all stakeholders think about the greater good of the community and social welfare through extension and outreach activities
- To access and generate more career opportunities for students and make them employable
- To maintain high levels of academic standards though access to and use of the best books/ journals (including e resources) and eminent resource people.
- To ensure that all aspects of the administrative machinery are constantly enhanced for smooth functioning
- To learn from peer institutions though collaborative ventures, grow as leaders and mentor institutions in remote and underdeveloped areas
- To build citizens who serve the country as it develops in the 75 years following Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Enhance green practices of the college